Issuing a patch for a 16 year old game is pretty astounding, though nothing new for Blizzard as Warcraft 3 1.29 hits PTR.
And quite a lot of work has gone into this update with 16:9 widescreen support, an updated map pool, balance changes for heroes and an updated launcher.
A Warcraft 3 Invitational Tournament has also been announced for February 27-28. It will be hosted by casters Neo and Remo of Back2Warcraft on Twitch, and will include various competitions with people from all over the world.
This has led some people to speculate a Warcraft 3 remaster could also be about to be announced, similar to the Starcraft 1 remaster which was released last year. While we’re not necessarily holding out hope for that, it’s great to see such a fantastic game still getting incredible support.
There’s really nobody like Blizzard when it comes to supporting their games post launch and this is certainly further proof of that.
Of course, if they did want to remake Warcraft 3 we’d be there day one. Easily in the Top 20 games of ALL TIME.
Here’s the full patch notes.
Specific Changes & Improvements
- Added bookends to the in-game interface
- Added black pillars in menus to prevent stretching
24 Player Support
- Game lobbies revised to support 24 players
- Team colors revised and expanded
- Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes
Balance & Map Pools
- Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793#1
World Editor Upgrades
- Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724#1
- Clans may now be created
- Mac clients launch on 10.11 and beyond
- Unable to change resolutions in native fullscreen
- PTR only supports English version of the client
- This will be the last version to support Windows XP
- The Mac PTR client requires manually running the launcher to patch