Not that long ago, the prospect of XCOM 2 on consoles seemed like a pipedream. It was built as a PC exclusive, consigned to both mouse and keyboard users with no controller support in sight. It’s a technical beast, heavy on disc space, and seemed too hot for any current-gen platform to handle.
Well, those days are gone, and to celebrate there’s now plug and play support for controllers in a brand new update for PC owners. Simply plug in an Xbox One or Xbox 360 pad and you can dive straight into the action. Dualshock 4 isn’t quite so straightforward, though, so you’ll probably need to grab DS4Windows or another similar program.
The update also unlocks the games’ camera which enables you to explore the Avenger from a first person perspective. You just need to use the controller and can see the ship as your soldiers do. You can even climb into a soldier’s bunk to learn a bit about them. Watch the below video and find out how.
Check out the patch notes in full
- Adds traditional (non-Steam Controller) controller support to the PC
- Fix config/upk file issues that prevent full conversion mods from being possible on the Steam Workshop and also allow mods to have Bink files.
- In Alien Hunters, the “Ruler Reaction” notification will stay on the screen after a unit fires at the Archon King while he is using Icarus Drop during combat.
- SPARKS cannot be healed by Medikits
- Additional minor bug fixes