Nintendo Switch 5.0.0 firmware is now available to download and is full of some useful, very welcome additions.
Among them is the ability to connect both your Facebook and Twitter accounts and find Switch buddies through there via Friend Suggestions. You can also select 24 new icons inspired by ARMS and Kirby and start downloading digital software from a PC or smart device much sooner than before, even if your Switch is in sleep mode.
Other additions relate to Parental Controls, allowing you to whitelist certain softwares so they can be excluded from restricted software. You can also restrict certain video captures in your album depending on your settings. Finally, you can keep your PIN private now as it no longer shows an on-screen number pad and can be entered using the thumb stick and buttons.
Here’s that changelog.
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page
Nintendo Switch 5.0.0 is available to download right now. Welcome features, indeed.
What would you want to see from future Switch firmware updates? Shout out below and we’ll discuss our favourites in a future article.