PlayStation 5 will gradually roll out from November 12th to November 19th in numerous territories.
The wait is almost over and there’s a wealth of exciting launch titles coming to PlayStation 5, including several exclusives.
Here’s a look at everything we know so far about the PlayStation 5 Digital and Physical Versions.
(This article will be continuously updated in the run up to launch so keep checking back – Updated as of 09/10/2020)
Sony will release two new consoles from November 12th 2020 – PlayStation 5 Digital Version and PlayStation 5 with a physical disc version.
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition will retail for $400/£360/$599AUS
PlayStation 5 Physical Edition will retail for $500/£450/$749AUS
When does it launch?
PlayStation 5 will launch in the US, Canada, Japan, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea on November 12th
It will then launch in the UK, Europe, and the rest of the World on November 19th.
What’s in the box?
The contents for both consoles are exactly the same, including a PS5 Console, DualSense Controller, a base, HDMI Cable, AC Power Cord, and USB Cable
All PS5 consoles will also come pre-installed with Astro’s Playroom.
When/Where can I Pre-Order?
Pre-orders for both consoles went live almost straight after the PS Showcase and are now open all over the world, though retail stock is low. The Digital Edition is said to be significantly lower than the physical edition.
Sony have apologised for the way they’ve handled pre orders, and we can expect more to go on stock soon.
We’ve linked to some retailers below, so keep checking in with them to try and secure your system.
How do these consoles compare?
Both consoles have exactly the same tech specs. The only difference is the Digital Version does not come complete with a 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive so cannot play physical games.
Full Tech Specs for both systems are outlined below.
- CPU: AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory interface: 16GB GDDR6 / 256-bit
- Memory bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO throughput: 5.5GB/s (raw), typical 8-9GB/s (compressed)
- Expandable storage: NVMe SSD slot
- External storage: USB HDD support (PS4 games only)
- Optical drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray drive (Only for the Physical Edition)
What’s new about these systems?
The PS5 features ‘lightning-fast loading’ with an ‘ultra-high speed SSD’ and there’s ‘deeper immersion with support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and 3D audio’ using the brand new DualSense Controller.
The PS5 is also capable of Ray Tracing, True 4K Gaming, up to 120fps with 120HZ output, HDR technology, and 8K output, enabling you to play games on a 4320p resolution display.
Some PS4 games will benefit from faster and smoother frame rates, PS4 games can also be upgraded to digital PS5 games, and there is existing PSVR integration.
Is there a new Controller?
Yes, and it plays a significant part in making the PS5 unique. It includes haptic feedback, adding a variety of powerful sensations in the buttons to create a greater sense of immersion
Adaptive triggers are also critical to the controller, including content-related feedback and finer control.
The DualSense has a longer battery life, and the ‘Share’ button has now been replaced with a ‘Create’ button which launches new creation features.
The DualSense controller also includes its own in-built microphone. Which could be both the best and worst thing ever – depending on what’s on telly in the background.
What can I play on these consoles?
There’s a bunch of new PS5 titles being built from the ground-up for the system – some of which are available at launch. Some will also launch simultaneously on PS4, like Spider-Man Miles Morales, and Horizon Zero Dawn 2.
99% of PS4 games will also be playable on the system, with a full list to be announced.
What are the launch titles for PlayStation 5?
Launch titles currently confirmed (as of 09/10/2020) are, as follows.
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS Exclusive / Also available on PS4)
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition – including Spider-Man Remastered (PS5 Exclusive)
- Demon’s Souls (Timed PS5 exclusive)
- Astro’s Playroom (Exclusive, Pre-installed on PS5)
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS Exclusive / Also available on PS4)
- Godfall (PS5 Console Exclusive)
- Bugsnax (PS Console Exclusive / Also available on PS4)
- Destiny 2 Beyond Light
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Digital Only / Physical to follow)
- DiRT 5
- Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
- Observer System Redux
- Overcooked: All You Can Eat Edition
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Watch Dogs Legion
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
- Just Dance 2021
PlayStation Plus Collection Games (A series of PS4 games will be available to download for free for all PS+ Subscribers on day one of PS5 release)
Sony First Party Titles
- Days Gone
- Detroit: Become Human
- God of War
- Infamous Second Son
- The Last Guardian
- The Last of Us Remastered
- Persona 5
- Ratchet and Clank
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Until Dawn
Third Party Titles
- Battlefield 1
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Fallout 4
- Final Fantasy 15
- Monster Hunter: World
- Mortal Kombat X
- Resident Evil 7
Announced Titles getting Enhancements/Upgrades (As of 21/09/2020)
- Marvel’s Avengers (Free Upgrade)
- Control (Enhanced through Ultimate Edition)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (Free Upgrade)
- The Witcher 3 (Free Upgrade)
- DOOM Eternal (Free Upgrade)
- The Elder Scrolls Online (Free Upgrade)
- Destiny 2 (Free Upgrade)
- Madden 21 (Free Upgrade before Madden 22)
- Fifa 21 (Free Upgrade before FIFA 22)
- NBA 2K21 (Enhanced through Mamba Forever Edition)
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (Enhanced through Cross-Gen Bundle)
- Borderlands 3 (Free Upgrade)
- Dead by Daylight (Free Upgrade)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Free Upgrade)
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Free Upgrade)
- WRC 9 (Free Upgrade)
(Note – Due to the new architecture within the consoles, all games are expected to receive some improvements. However, the above titles are confirmed to have major patches which take further advantage of the new systems in unique ways)
Launch Window Games Include
- Aragami 2
- Destruction All Stars (PS5 Exclusive)
- Oddworld: Soulstorm
- Immortals Fenyx Rising (December 3rd)
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (December 8th)
- 12 Minutes
- Planet Coaster Console Edition
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Little Nightmares 2 (2021)
- Far Cry 6 (February 18th 2021)
- Riders Republic (February 25th 2021)
- Resident Evil Village
- Hogwarts Legacy
Aside from the DualSense controller, there’s also…
- DualSense Charging Station
- PULSE 3D Wireless Headset
- Media Remote
- HD Camera
- PlayStation Camera adaptor
This article will be continuously updated as we build up to launch and will include any new information as we get it.
Noticed anything we missed? Sound out below and let us know if you’re picking up a PlayStation 5.