Square Enix have introduced a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn 4.2, the next major expansion – Rise of a New Sun.
The previous update harkened back to Final Fantasy Tactics and showed off a new raid and PVP mode. This time out, though, it appears the content will be more story-driven.
Fallen soldiers are shown on a battlefield, as well as Kefka, a familiar face from Final Fantasy 6. We see major battles inside and on top of a train, as well as underwater missions, epic-scale creatures, lava-filled foes, and even roaring white tigers.
The environments and production values look genuinely impressive, and a compelling story seems to have been clearly woven throughout.
Rise of a New Sun really shows off a mix of sci-fi fantasy with the epic, grandious scenarios we expect from these games.
Here’s a breakdown of what to expect, with some secrets being kept back until closer to launch.
- More main story, getting into increasingly complex political territory.
- 1 new raid, continuing the Omega story arc and featuring iconic enemies from Final Fantasy 6, including a possible cameo from a certain evil clown, if the trailer is any indication.
- 2 new dungeons: Hell’s Lid (an Oni-filled mountain full of lava and Japanese-inspired monsters) and a return to the Fractal Continuum, freshly re-stocked and full of new suprises and old Allagan technology.
- 1 new Trial boss fight; Byakko, the Tiger, first of the Four Lords.
- More wacky antics with bumbling detective Hildibrand and friends.
- A new Beast Tribe to befriend and do quests for in exchange for unique gear – the snake-like Vira clan.
- A new PvP arena map and some major revisions to PvP rules and match format.
- A new cosmetic outfit system, allowing you to convert gear into costume pieces at inns, and create whole outfits that can be switched at will without bloating your inventory.
- Fashion contests over at the Gold Saucer, so you can strut your stuff on the catwalk and perhaps earn some prizes for your impeccably stylish use of the new costume system.
- Underwater adventures: Companies (guilds) can now build themselves a submersible workshop, and construct advanced and customized submarines to take on adventures to loot-heavy caverns under the sea.
We will also learn more about the Forbidden Land of Eureka Anemos closer to launch which will be on January 30th.
Most of the content in Rise of a New Sun won’t be available unless you own the Stormblood expansion. You will have also needed to complete content from previous patch updates.
More as we get it.